Another Win-Win Recipe- Grill Baby Grill
Do you love grilling on the barbeque as much as I do? Cooking food over a fire just transforms how everything tastes.
So if you’ve been wanting to switch to eating more vegetables- for all those good reasons- here’s another win-win recipe that gives you what your body needs and what you will enjoy. It looks- and even tastes- like a steak!
And this trumps your ordinary sandwich, being packed with 10 g of protein, 781 mg potassium, 9 g of fiber, 0 g of saturated fat (yes, 0), plus folate, magnesium and Vitamin C!
Grilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large or 3 medium portobello mushroom caps (optional- remove gills)
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, lightly grilled or toasted
2 cups arugula or spinach, stemmed and chopped if large
1 large tomato, sliced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Mash garlic into a paste on a cutting board. Combine with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Coat both sides of the eggplant and mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Grill the vegetables, turning once, until tender and browned on both sides: 2-3 minutes per side for eggplant, 3-4 minutes for mushrooms. When mushrooms cool enoughj to handle, slice.
5. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic mayonnaise on each piece of bread. Layer the eggplant, mushrooms, arugula or spinach, and tomato slices onto 4 slices of bread and top with bread.
Preparation time: 30-35 minutes
Remember: By eating what you love AND making substitutions like this one, you’re on your way to creating your own long-lasting style to staying fit and feeling great. And that’s what we do at Gourmet Fitness.
Beyond Body Mind Spirit, NYC