Flu-Fighting Be Healthy Recipe
Flu can come on like a freight train, with high fever, headache, fatigue, chills, body aches, and respiratory illness. Since it’s difficult to treat, start PROTECTING yourself now and year-round.
How to be healthy? Eat free radicals and repair and strengthen immune cells with a cascade of antioxidant and nutrient rich foods. This meal does just that with immune-boosting flu fighters.
- Mushrooms- a good source of potassium and the antioxidant selenium
- Squash- for the antioxidant beta carotene which converts to Vitamin A in your body
- Garlic- with virus-fighting sulfur components
- Beans- a good source of zinc and the B vitamin folate
Mushroom and Lima Bean Stew
1 cup dried lima beans
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
8 oz. shitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
8 oz. Portobello mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bay leaf
8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Freshly ground pepper
½ bunch kale (8 oz.), stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (6 cups)
1. Soak beans overnight in water. Drain.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium flame.
3. Add onions and garlic. Cook until tender, 6-8 minutes, and transfer to a bowl.
4. Turn heat to medium high.
5. Working in batches, add mushrooms, cook until golden brown, and transfer to the bowl. Add more oil to cook remaining mushrooms.
6. Return onions and mushrooms to pot and add squash, beans, bay leaf, and stock. Season with pepper.
7. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover partially.
8. Cook until beans are just tender, about 50-60 minutes.
9. Stir in kale and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more.
10. Season with salt
Serves: 6-8 (makes 10 cups)
1 g saturated fat
6 g unsaturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
49 g carbohydrates
138 mg sodium
17 g protein
Be healthy and enjoy good living!
By the way, I prepared this dish yesterday for a Spa managed by American Leisure. Here’s Kajal, one of my students, enjoying a taste!
Beyond Body Mind Spirit NYC