We Americans love pizza. So why not have your pizza in a way that it can “love” you back? Meaning, it’s actually good for you. It’s easier than you may think since pizza, with a few changes to the ingredients, can be a fabulous source of nutrients instead of just a poor source of fat and empty calories.
Just try some simple, tasty topping combinations, or if you prefer, mix and match them to create your own.
- Sauteed Broccoli and Arugula with Pesto and shredded part-skim Mozzarella Cheese: the arugula adds a slightly bitter, peppery taste; for a milder flavor, use spinach instead.
- Sauteed Wild Mushrooms with baby Spinach, fresh Oregano and shredded soy Mozzarella Cheese.
- Sauteed sweet Corn, Mint, Lemon Zest, and Pine Nuts: if the pine nuts are costly, substitute walnuts for the same crunch and added protein
- Thinly sliced Potatoes with Roasted Chilies, Sage and Gorgonzola: people are surprised at how great this is.
- Sliced Squash with crumbled Goat Cheese and Walnuts: another great surprise
- Pears, Walnuts and Blue Cheese over Onion, Vinegar and Sage- awesome
- Caramelized Onion and White Bean with Plum Tomatoes and Smoked Gouda- speechless
- Pesto, Plum Tomatoes, Feta Cheese and fresh Basil: for a dazzling twist to the classic Margherita Pizza
1. Just start with either a whole wheat crust of bread or tortilla wrap. Or buy prepared pizza dough and follow the baking directions.
2. Gently sauté the vegetable toppings on top of the stove using olive oil, or if you prefer, lightly steam them; some recipes use fresh vegetables, gently warmed.
3. In most cases, to assemble your pizza, place the cheese on your bread or pizza dough, add vegetable toppings, and sprinkle spices on top!
If you would like more specific information or recipe, just email me at MRisa@BeyondBodyMindSpirit.com.
Remember: By eating what you love AND making small substitutions like these, you’re on your way to creating your own long-lasting style to staying fit, feeling great and having fun doing it. And that’s what we do at Gourmet Fitness.
“Enjoy Healthy” in every aspect of your life
Beyond Body Mind Spirit NYC