Happy 4th of Kabob!
At your Independence Day cookout this year, the possibilities of kabobs are endless. Here are a few general tips:
- Marinate your meats or fish overnight if you want extra flavor
- Soak wooden skewers for at least 20 minutes in water
- Use your sturdiest kabob ingredient, such as chicken, as book-ends on your skewers.
You can even make a full meal out of just kabobs and your grill! Try a veggie kabob as your appetizer, a meat or fish kabob as your main course, and a fruit kabob for dessert! And give your kabobs summery, fresh-tasting flavor by adding mint or basil.
It doesn’t get any easier to have food fun this holiday. Kabobs are a great way to show off your grill skills and get creative! Try this delicious twist on grilling shrimp on kabobs, courtesy of AllRecipes.com.
Have a safe and yummy Fourth of July!
- 2 ½ tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup melted butter (use a soy butter for the same taste but less fat!)
- 1 ½ lemons, juiced
- 3 tbs. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 lbs. fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Mix together olive oil and melted butter in a bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice, mustard, basil, and garlic and season with salt and white pepper.
- Throw in the shrimp and toss until they’re fully coated. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Put shrimp onto skewers and cook for 4 minutes (turning them over once).
“Enjoy Healthy” with results that last a lifetime!
By Lauren Searles
P.S. “LIKE” us on Facebook to get tips straight to your News Feed!