Six Super Summer Drinks
Can you say that 6 times fast? Ahhh, it’s summer time and that means more fun time.
So why not have fun with these Six Super Summer Drink combinations while at the same time keep yourself healthy and hydrated?
#1 Michele’s Choco-Banana Smoothie
Simple is especially good during the summer and a recipe doesn’t get more simple than this- and without compromising taste!
1 1/2 cups chocolate soy milk
1-2 frozen bananas
4 ice cubes
1. Pour soy milk into a blender
2. Add frozen bananas and ice cubes
Preparation time: 3 minutes
#2 Cucumber Watermelon Drink
Many of us know that when you place cucumbers on your eyes, it reduces puffiness. But did you know that eating them rejuvenates your skin? Plus watermelon cleanses the kidney and bladder. Let the juicing begin!
1 small seedless watermelon
1. Remove the green skin of the watermelon
2. Juice the watermelon and cucumber
3. Add a squeeze of lime at the end.
Serves: 2 cups of juice
Preparation time: 5 minutes
#3 Mint Iced Green Tea
Feel the sniffles coming on? Don’t worry! Boost your immune system with this powerful green tea that has a minty twist.
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
3 green tea bags
2 tablespoons honey
4 cups boiling water
2 cups sake, divided (omit if prefer non-alcoholic)
4 stalks lemongrass for garnish
1. Boil water
2. Combine mint leaves, tea bags, honey and boiling water.
3. Let steep for 5 minutes, remove tea bags,
4. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. Divide among 4 large ice-filled glasses
6. Add 1/2 cup sake to each glass
7. Garnish with a stalk of lemongrass.
Preparation time: 10 minutes + 45 minutes for chilling
#4 Peach Smoothie
Rich in lycopene and lutein, peaches help prevent heart disease and cancer. Plus, this is tangy and utterly refreshing!
2 cups ice
2 peaches, pitted and cut into pieces
3/4 cup skim milk
7 ounces 2% yogurt (your favorite flavor)
1/2 cup orange juice or tangerine juice
3 tablespoons honey
1. In a blender, combine ice, peaches, milk, yogurt and juice.
2. Select mix or crush setting and blend until smooth.
3. Pour in honey while machine is on and blend an additional 30 seconds.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
#5 Lemon Ginger Iced Tea
Lemon Ginger tea is known for its healing properties. Drink this tea warm when you want to get over a cold, or drink it cold on a hot summer day!
2 cups water
1 cup agave or sweetener of your choice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
6 green tea bags
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Add water, agave or other sweetener, ground ginger and lemon peel to medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat to sustain a gentle boil and cook for 7-8 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add the green tea bags. Steep this tea mixture for 10 minutes, stirring or dunking the bags often.
4. Remove tea bags and stir in lemon juice.
5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1-2 weeks.
To make a cup of iced tea, pour 1/4 cup of the concentrated tea mixture into a tall glass and stir 3/4 cup of sparkling or seltzer water or club soda. Add ice cubes and enjoy!
Serves: 1 1/3 cups of syrup (approx. 5 glasses of iced tea)
Preparation time: 25 minutes
#6 Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
Feeling a bit tropical? Why not make your own version of a pina coloda. Pineapple aids digestion and coconut provides you with vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy.
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup pineapple (fresh or canned)
1/2 cup coconut meat
1. Blend the pineapple juice, ice, and banana until a slush texture is formed.
2. Add the pineapple and coconut milk and blend until lightly smooth and fruit is well mixed. If using fresh pineapples, add them before adding the coconut as it may take longer to blend the pineapple pieces.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Beyond Body Mind Spirit NYC